TF Banner

Go Back   Taking Flight - Fear of Flying Support > Fear of Flying Support > General Discussion

General Discussion This forum is for discussing Fear of Flying, and receiving & providing support. Have a flight coming up? Need some encouragement? Here is the forum for you!

Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Embraer ERJ-145 Jet ? Safe?

My husband is flying on this ... row of 2 on one side and row of just one on the other - what do you guys think? American Airlines....

Well, I was going to wait to buy the tickets, but I'm going ahead. But what do you guys think about it?

Vester

Last edited by vester : 03-09-2005 at 07:46 PM. Reason: changing wording
Old 03-09-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Perfectly Safe

I fly on them all the time. Not good for people that are claustraphobic though.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:54 PM

Default safe

They're definitely safe, but not really comfortable. No leg room at all. However, for the shorter trips, they're fine. And like Mark said, they're pretty small inside.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Thanks!

Ok - well my husband hates the no leg room thing (espeically since one of his legs is taken up with a tumor) but he can make it for an hour He will be ok - He'll just have to get up and stretch at some point!

Thanks for the advice/info. You guys are always so great...and QUICK!!!!!

Vester
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Default About safety issues

Hello, I'm new in this forum I'm from Greece and I'm considering flying with this kind of an airplane/jet, and I was wondering, whether you guys think these jets are safe enginewise. These aircrafts are piloted by Athens Airways, which is a new air company here in Greece, founded in 2008, and I'm kind of hesitating because I'm used to flying with Boeing aircrafts with Aegean airways and Olympic Airlines and they're pretty good I guess. The trip is rather short to Santorini, it's only 1hr and 5min so, what you said about passenger comfort don't think that it'll trouble me that much, although I have some claustophobic issues

Thanks so much in advance, I know you've tackled with this issue like 5 years ago, but I came up with it just now, maybe here in Greece we delay in matters of buying new aircrafts I guess
Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 PM
A software guy / Moderator

scully_!

All of the planes flown by EU airlines are safe. Airlines in the EU are kept to high safety standards (similar to the FAA standards in the USA.) The Embraers are certified by EU and US aviation authorities and just as safe as Boeings or Airbusses. (As a mathematician I say: there are too few accidents to conclusively say one plane type is safer than the other.)

One thing that is noticable is that the ERJ-145 is smaller, with three seats in a row, only 50 passengers; compared with ~150 passengers and 6 seats in a row for the typical Boeing 737. I like the single aisle/window seat (usually travel alone). If I can watch outside I tend to enjoy the sights so much that I forget any claustrophobia!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Student Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully_ View Post
Hello, I'm new in this forum I'm from Greece and I'm considering flying with this kind of an airplane/jet, and I was wondering, whether you guys think these jets are safe enginewise. These aircrafts are piloted by Athens Airways, which is a new air company here in Greece, founded in 2008, and I'm kind of hesitating because I'm used to flying with Boeing aircrafts with Aegean airways and Olympic Airlines and they're pretty good I guess. The trip is rather short to Santorini, it's only 1hr and 5min so, what you said about passenger comfort don't think that it'll trouble me that much, although I have some claustophobic issues

Thanks so much in advance, I know you've tackled with this issue like 5 years ago, but I came up with it just now, maybe here in Greece we delay in matters of buying new aircrafts I guess
Hi Scully, and Welcome to Taking Flight!!
I think you may be our first Greek member (at least living in Greece). Are you in Athens? I've never been to Santorini, but from the photos it looks GORGEOUS! http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...ed=0CE0QsAQwBA

Based on this YouTube video, it looks like you could have some exciting "transportation adventures" once you arrive at the island. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGFuh8Z96DI
Although, that may not be necessary when you arrive by plane rather than cruise ship.

Here's a YouTube video done in FSX (flight sim program)...gives you a general idea...and
more different perspectives than actual passenger videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW9S2y4aKj4

Makes me nostalgic listening to the music...I spent some memorable weeks in Greece in the early 70's, though as a budget traveler, 3rd class to Crete and a few other islands on the inter-island ferries.

Anyway...your question...safety of the ERJ-145 engines...here's what Wikipedia has to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer_ERJ_145_family
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
The ERJ 145 family of aircraft has no reported crashes or fatalities due to mechanical malfunction in over 15 million hours (as of June 2009) of flight time for the fleet.
. That sounds reassuring to me...

Have a great trip, and I hope you will post some photos and a trip report afterwards.

No failure is permanent and no failure is a complete failure. Learn from the portion of the effort that went wrong, change it, and recombine it with the part that went right.- www.greatday.com
Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 PM

Default ThanX!!!!

Thank you so much you guys, I really appreciate you taking time to reply to my worries..! And I'm so glad I registered to this forum!!!!

@Barb-SAN: Thanks a lot for the youtube links you've posted here ANd you bet I'll post photos of Santorini!!! I've never been to Santorini and I'm going with my boyfriend, hoping to have a blast The island is awesome, I've read about and seen photos of it and I'm looking forward to this trip! No, I'm not from Athens, I'm from Thessaloniki Greek islands are so amazing, and I'm not saying that because I'm Greek, but because it's the truth I think I've been to Tinos, Lefkada, Mytilini and Rhodes I've never been to Crete and I'd love to go one day, maybe next summer, if my boyfriend agrees to that It's a fantastic island

@MathFox: Thank you so much for your technical info, I sure feel more confident now flying with Embraer

Now, another question, a different travel agency has also made us an offer flying with Astra Airlines, it's another new air company here and they're flying ALF502R - 5 jets (All engines enrolled on Honeywell EMCPP); compared to the Embraers, what can you tell me about them? Cause I have no idea whatsoever...as you can clearly tell What would you rather fly with? Embraer ERJ 145 or ALF502R - 5?

You've been so helpful!! Thanks again in advance!!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Student Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully_ View Post
Now, another question, a different travel agency has also made us an offer flying with Astra Airlines, it's another new air company here and they're flying ALF502R - 5 jets (All engines enrolled on Honeywell EMCPP); compared to the Embraers, what can you tell me about them? Cause I have no idea whatsoever...as you can clearly tell What would you rather fly with? Embraer ERJ 145 or ALF502R - 5?
The best I can do for you on that is Google it...and here's a link to a picture of the engine (ALF502R) http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace...away-5582.aspx
But what plane is it on? I have no idea whatsoever either !!

No failure is permanent and no failure is a complete failure. Learn from the portion of the effort that went wrong, change it, and recombine it with the part that went right.- www.greatday.com
Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb-SAN View Post
The best I can do for you on that is Google it...and here's a link to a picture of the engine (ALF502R) http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace...away-5582.aspx
But what plane is it on? I have no idea whatsoever either !!
Thanks! However, I don't know anything about engines, either..! Hope that it is as safe as the Embraer, but we gotta choose by 2morrow... Anyway, we'll take our chances with the Embraer I think Thanks Barb-SAN
Old 07-13-2010, 04:39 PM
A software guy / Moderator

I guess the plane will be an BAe 146, like the one in the picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:As...Ae_146-300.JPG

Also a safe plane, but one I haven't flown yet.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathFox View Post
I guess the plane will be an BAe 146, like the one in the picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:As...Ae_146-300.JPG

Also a safe plane, but one I haven't flown yet.
Thanks so much for the link MathFox